The first pioneers to arrive in the area now known as the Town of Reading arrived sometime around 1798. The Town of Reading was formed from the Town of Wayne in 1806 while still part of Steuben County. A portion of the Town of Reading was used to form the Town of Starkey in Yates County in 1824. The Town of Reading became part of Steuben County's contribution to the newly formed Schuyler County in 1854.
The 2010 U.S. Census states there are 1,707 people living in the Town of Reading. The Town of Reading is located in the southwestern portion of Schuyler County. The Town encompeses 27.2 square miles with 35.44 miles of Town roads.